Happy Friday! I’m so happy the weekend is here and I hope yours is full of fun activities. I will be spending mine in bed, sadly. Yesterday, I woke up with a sore throat and today I have all the symptoms of a cold. And it’s just the first week of winter… So hopefully, I will survive the rest of the season. Besides that, today’s post is a DIY: How to make a Pompom Tassel Keychain.
I found the idea on Anthropology website here. And they are selling it for $28, while my version was for $4. It’s a project with no many materials. Just wool (which I already had) and embroidery thread. It’s a project that can take some time but is really repetitive and easy.
- Cardboard. For the ‘donuts’ to make the pompom and a simple rectangle for the tassels.
- Embroidery thread
- Key ring (I used the one in a keychain I never used)
Steps for the pompom
1. The first you need is two ‘donut’ shaped cardboard (Mine were 5 cm – 2 in of diameter). Put them together and star wrapping the wool around the ‘donuts’. For a more fluffy pompom. You need to wrap the wool as much as possible.
2. Once that’s done. You have to cut right in the middle of the two ‘donut’ shaped cardboards.
3. Put a strand of the wool between the two cardboards. Pull tight and tie a knot. Tie one more knot. Make sure to cut a long strand. Later you will need it to add the key ring.
4. Some strands will be longer than other. So trim them equally.
5. Ta-da! The pompom is ready.
Steps for the Tassels
1. Once you have your cardboard rectangle (Mine was 4 x 6 cm – 1.5 x 2.3 in). Start wrapping the embroidery thread at least 35 times. If you wrap it more times, the tassel will get thicker.
2. With a long strand tie the top with at least two knots. Make sure it’s not too tight because we will need a little of space to put together the tassels.
3. When that’s done, remove the cardboard. And with another long strand. Tie two tight knots about a fingertip’s length from the top.
4. Wrap around the ends and double knot.
5. Next, cut the remaining and try to hide under the wrap.
6. Snip the loops and trim the end.
7. There you have it! Your first tassel. Now repeat the steps for the other ones.
Steps for the Pompom Tassel Keychain
This part it’s a little more difficult. So we need patience.
1. First, let’s put together the tassels. Pick a strand from the first tassel and insert it in the small space at the top (here’s why I said to not tie the knot too tight). Once you do that, pick another strand from the same first tassel and double knot. Repeat the same with the others. You can help yourself with a needle.
2. Now it’s time for the key ring and pompom. This part is super easy. Insert the strands into the last loop of the key ring. Then tie a knot. Twice.
3. To put together the tassels and pompom. Just surround the pompom with the top strands of the first tassel and secure with enough knots. Cut the remainings.
4. Yay! Your Pompom Tassel Keychain is ready to use!
I hope you like this pompom tassel keychain! And if you want more DIY ideas, click here.
Did you like the idea? Let me know in the comments!